Yup,

I started on the S/38 about the same time.  It's stabilty was very good as
long as you didn't go more than a couple months between IMPLs.  By the later
releases, the need to IMPL was more due to the inevitable need to regenerate
addresses.  Early versions required setting the dials for this operation.

R03 introduced DSPACTJOB!  Before that you had to use DSPSBS to figure out
what was going on.  I also recall DSPFs had to be recompiled for R03.   The
model 3 could have as little as 512KB,  the 5 maxed out at 2MB,  the 7 at
4MB and the 40 & 700 at 32MB.   I think a minimal R06 install only required
about 100MB of disk.

Of intesest to the MI programmer, CPF programs were observable.  Along with
the availability of OS internals documentation,  you could argue that CPF
was more "open" than OS/400.

Here's some S/38 pictures...
http://www.corestore.org/s38.htm
Mike's IBM page is nice, but I think he needs a S/34.
http://www.corestore.org/ibm.html

Keith

From: "jt" <jt@ee.net>