Keith,

>Does the statement: "The text support function requires that the AS/400
>system support DisplayWrite software." imply a particular prerequisite
>hardware or software feature ?     OV/400 ?

It requires a WS controller capable of being placed in WP mode instead of DP
mode.  Data Processing mode is what we traditionally use.  DisplayWrite placed
the controller in Word Processing mode, which is a prerequisite for the text
support functions.  That's probably in that 5494 Functions Reference somewhere
too.

I think all 400's since around 1990 or so came standard with the "enhanced WS
controller", though it was optional on the early CISC models.

If not using twinax attached devices, then the WS does not matter.  It is your
connection method.  For example, the 5494 supported WP mode but I don't think
the 5294 or 5394 did.  And of a bigger concern now is telnet.  I doubt very many
telnet clients will support the data streams.

I could be wrong.

I last read the WP mode data stream stuff back on the S/36, in the S/36
Functions Reference Manual...

Doug