From: "Simon Coulter" <shc@flybynight.com.au>

> I recall I also added some information in a later append.

Yup, you did.  Sorry, I should have checked first.

Just the same, thanks for elaborating and providing the example.

> I don't know what the price was but it certainly was possible to get the
> microfiche.  I beleive that stopped about CPF 5.0 which was the last
release
> for which you could get the CPF Data Areas Manual (all 6 volumes).  I know
> neither of those things were available by CPF 8.0 because I tried to order
> them.  The Data Areas manual was no longer printed and I don't recall why
> the microfiche was not available.  I suspect the real reason they were
> dropped is that it was simply too expensivce for IBM to maintain.  As
> externally available documentation they must maintain certain standards.
As
> internal only documentation the standards can drop.

Back in the day, I worked with someone who had the R6 data areas manual
(single volume). It was fairly large (about 4 inches thick), but unlike
other IBM manuals, it wa just a packed "2 up" lineprinter listing.   Maybe
this was a compromise to the costs you mention.

Keith