My understanding of how RAID 5 works.
Raid 5 stores in the strip a parity bit.  I seem to recall it uses even parity,
although it might use odd.

For sake of argument, say you have 5 disks in your array.  And say we are
looking at the stripe on the 5th disk for the first 4.  Some semi random bit
patterns:
Disk1  Disk2  Disk3  Disk4  Disk5
  0      0      0      0      0
  0      0      0      1      1
  0      1      1      0      0
  1      0      1      0      0
  0      1      1      1      1

Disk5 will set the bit on or off to make the parity even.  It adds up the bits
in the other disks, if they are odd, it will set the bit to 1, if they are
even, it will set it to 0.

Now, loosing any disk, you can determine what it's bit was supposed to be by
the other bits, including the stripe.  In the example given, if we loose Disk2
for the first sample, the other bits add up to 0, since it has to be even,
Disk2 had to have been a 0.  For the last example, the other bits add up to 3,
since it has to be even, Disk 2 had to have been a 1.

I may have it backwards, and perhaps it makes them odd instead of even, and
this may even bee a setting in Raid, just not sure, but it doesn't really
matter for the concept.

Regards,

Jim Langston