Hello, Harry:

Your English is not that bad, as a second language... :-)

See my "embedded" remarks below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Williams" <planesmart@teleteam.net>
To: <mi400@midrange.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:01 PM
Subject: RE: [MI400] Writing to a save file

> I guess I is a programmer. I think I need to learn English.
>
> I was converting a save file to a physical file by overrides, then
> compressing it.  Next I decompressed it to another physical file, then
wrote
> this physical file to a save file with overrides.
>
> I tried to go directly from a save file with the compression routine, but
> when I tried to take the compressed file to a save file I got an error.
The
> compression routine will write to a save file. So I was trying to figure
out
> how to do it.

I think this problem you had is because when writing to a save file, IBM's
OS/400 code enforces that only "valid" save file data (with proper record
level check-sums, etc.) is allowed to be written into a save file.  Any type
of compression of the entire record will alter the check-sums, etc., too.

So, you must continue to stick with using a physical file of some sort to
store the "compressed save file data", then, only when you want to use it
again, decompress it, and write the results back into a save file again,
then
you can "restore" your objects from the save file.  Does this "make sense"?

> if the compressor is learning, is it for the one compression or will it
save
> the learned compression routine for next time?
>
> I use spell checker this time.

That's nice, but these tools do not always help with "grammar". :-)
But I think your meaning is clear enough.

Regards,

Mark S. Waterbury