On Wednesday 15 May 2002 08:54 am, Dan Bale wrote:
> I have never seen this before.  Using SST to dump several program objects.
> For each one, I get a message "Dump to printer successfully submitted."  So
> I figure it's submitting a batch job for each of these, right?  Wrong.  The
> spool files all point back to the interactive job.  There are no other
> batch jobs running on the system using CPU.  DSPJOB option 3 on the
> interactive job shows the "CPU time used" figure climbing with each
> refresh, even though I'm not doing anything else on that session.  DSPJOB
> option 4 on the same interactive job shows the spool files being created.

It's using SLIC tasks, instead of jobs (which SST calls processes).  Tasks
are executed by the microcode (SLIC--System Licensed Internal Code).  You can
see a list of them in SST by selecting:

  1 - Start a service tool
  4 - Display/Alter/Dump
  1 - Display/Alter
  4 - Tasks/Processes
  1 - Task
  5 - Display list of tasks

The ones with names starting with SF (Service Function) are for SST, e..g.
SFDA, Service Function Display/Alter.

SLIC tasks do a lot of the low-level work of the OS, such as building access
paths, reading & writing disk drives, etc.

> So, how can we utilize this feature?  Or is this an IBM-only doo-dad?

It's an IBM-only doo-dad, unless you want to do a lot of very low-level
reverse engineering (there's very little public documentation, as you would
expect from the word "Internal" in SLIC).

--Dave