Hi Arnaud,

After trying a few more cases, it appears to be a bit more complicated.  I
found one library which, when saved compressed, had only one QSRDSSPC.1 after
which the object list was uncompressed--only the objects themselves were
compressed.   That was a library originally created on V3R1, whereas the
other library (with 2 QSRDSSPC.1's having the object list compressed after
the second) was created on V3R7.  So maybe it's a CISC/RISC distinction.  In
both cases, I saved the libraries with TGTRLS(*CURRENT) on a V5R1 machine.

So I think the question is: How do you tell whether the records after the
QSDSSPC.1 descriptor record are compressed?

The best I've been able to come up with is this:  If the 4 bytes at offset
x10 in the next record after the QSRDSSPC.1 record are hex zeros, the
following records containing the object list are uncompressed.  If the 4
bytes are not zeros, the records are compressed, and you'll have to
uncompress them to get the list.

--Dave