Leif wrote:

>> processing capability that you purchased be any different ethically than
>> buying 100 licenses of [insert your favorite software here] to run on
200
>> computers?  <running for cover>
>
>wouldn't that same argument not also apply to Joe Pluta's method of
>"re-engineering programs to remove the 5250 I/O" and get the same
>interactive capability but without 5250?
>
>Presumably true "interactive" capability is measured in service
>given to users interacting directly with the system. The interactive
>tax should really be called a 5250 tax.

Also I believe the difference lies in the way IBM represent the processing
limit. AIUI they sell you a box with an interactive rating of X. They do
not explicitly sell you a box with a rating of X+Y of which you are bound
by licence not to use more than X.

If I buy a car with a governor on it and a condition of sale is that I do
not tamper with the governor then I am morally (at least) bound by that
condition. If, however, I simply buy a car that has a stated top speed of X
and attached to the engine I discover an interesting little gadget which I
carefully adjust with a hammer (my car remember) and I find the top speed
is now X+Y have I cheated the car manufacturer?

Dave...

The opinions expressed in this communication are my own and do not
necessarily reflect those of my employer.