  • Subject: RE: iseries pgm call support
  • From: "Steve Glanstein" <mic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 23:58:58 -1000

Interesting concept w.r.t. external call..

Perhaps our answer is a new object called an "Application Entry Point Table"
modeled after the system entry point table.

A simple SVC call referencing the Application ID and the External Module ID
could work.
Parameter passage could match the standards used in what I remember was the
ICB...

All we need are some commands to manage the Application Entry Point Table
and we can get some serious speed. For example, CRTAEPT, DLTAEPT, ADDAEPTE
(Add an entry), RMVAEPTE, etc.

A code will be needed in a program header to indicate that it is referenced
in one or more of these great tables. Need to consider save/restore issues
w.r.t. the tables as well as compiles that alter the actual address.

Heck, PTFs have been altering INSEPT for a while. I even remember a "C"
program doing it by mistake!
Why not have a user level table that could speed up the calls.

JMHO

Steve Glanstein
mic@aloha.com

+---