  • Subject: Re: obstacles to an iseries risc compiler
  • From: "Leif Svalgaard" <leif@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 22:21:40 -0500

then you tell us :-)
no seriously, the first 4096 bytes of the program object is writeable.
The remaining pages have the PP (page protection bits) set to
disallow write (even in system state).
To write something there means that you first
have to mess with the page table entries (doable, but VERY
messy - for masochists only) or you have to call the lower-
level storage management routines that SST uses (also
not for the average Joe, even if he is "worth his salt")
So when you say that you have "hacked" AS/400 programs
you probably mean using SST and that is cheating.
Real programmer do this with restorable user-state
programs without adopted authority.   :-)   :-)