  • Subject: Re: socket trace
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:17:13 -0800

Mail From: Is the sender.
Rcpt To: Is the recipient.

that is basically all the information you need to send an e-mail.  The next
command is DATA.
Everything else falls under data.

This is something I sent directly from the SMTP server using:
TELNET '172.22.28.53' PORT(25)
mail from:jimlangst@conexfreight.com
rcpt to:jimlangston@conexfreight.com
data
heloo
.

heloo

This was sent with Netscape:

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:12:52 -0800
From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@conexfreight.com>
To: jimlangston@conexfreight.com
Subject: Some Subject

heloo

Now you can see what the SMTP server fills out, and what netscape fills out.

As you suspect, the From: and To: you see is from the DATA section.  The first
message does not show me who it is from or to when viewed with netscape.  The
second one does.

Telnet is a powerful tool and can be used to directly control most protols,
including POP3 (port 110), IRC, SMTP, FTP Telnet session (not the data section),
etc...

HTH,

Jim Langston

Gene_Gaunt@ReviewWorks.com wrote:

> I'm reading the data dump from my SMTP proxy, and a redundancy puzzles me.
> What's the difference between the e-mail addresses in the "Mail From:" and
> "Rcpt To:" SMTP commands, and the e-mail addresses in the "From:" and "To:"
> records in the MIME packet?   I open my Lotus Notes mailbox and see "FROM"
> and "TO" addresses.  Are these addresses coming from the SMTP commands, or
> are they coming from the MIME packet?
>
> +---
> | This is the MI Programmers Mailing List!
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to MI400@midrange.com.
> +---
+---