  • Subject: Re: Who Knew You Could Do That With MI?
  • From: "JeanMichel" <jmpenasse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:32:01 +0200

It's some "debug directives" mostly used by COBOL (and PL1) compilers.

HLL/LVL/PARENT allows to DSPPGMVAR  'MYVAR  OF  ONESTRUCT' and DSPPGMVAR
'MYVAR OF ONEOTHERSTRUCT' if in COBOL you've declared something like :
01 MAINSTRUCT
        02     ONESTRUCT
                05    MYVAR        PIC...
        02    ONEOTHERSTRUC
                05    MYVAR        PIC

I no longer have a COBOL compiler, but as far as I remember these keywords
are used together like :

 DCL DD Internal_MI_Name CHAR(5) LVL('02') HLL('FOO')
PARENT('MYSTRUCT','01')

In COBOL :
01    MYSTRUCT
        02 FOO

As I remember DIM is for multidimensional arrays debug access : DSPPGMVAR
'MYARRAY(5,12,1 ..)'

It's the same for BIT.
BIT can use 2 numbers : the first one (optional) is the number of bits, and
the second one the position of the first bit.
eg :  DCL DD FLD2 CHAR(2);
   DCL DD B0   CHAR(1) BIT(1,0) DEF(FLD2) POS(1);  /* Bit0 Byte1 */;
   DCL DD B67  CHAR(1) BIT(2,6) DEF(FLD2) POS(1);  /* Bit6 & 7 Byte1 */;

I'm not sure but I think HLLPTR is for  pointers debugging. There are a
debug command CHGHLLPTR.

I've tried to use these keywords directly in MI but no avail. It's only for
debug purpose.

I've found some others keywords, but don't know their meaning :

"MDIM" :
     DCL DD D     DIM(2, 3) CHAR(2) MDIM ;  /* DIM with MDIM    */
     DCL DD E     CHAR(5) MDIM;             /* MDIM Without DIM */

"DEC"
    DCL DD FLD0 CHAR(50) ;
         DCL DD FLD1  CHAR(10) DEC('ABCDEFGA',2) DEF(FLD0) POS(1);
    DCL DD FLDX   DEC('A',8);

Jean Michel  Penasse
EXPERIA Europe
jmpenasse@experia.com