You can bypass the use of the tape library.
1) Vary OFF the Tape library (Example name TAPMLB3584)
2 Vary ON the Tape Device (TAP01)

<<< Now do the tape archive process, direct to tape device (TAP01) >>>

To return to tape library mode.
1) Vary OFF the Tape Device (TAP01)
2) Vary ON the Tape Library (TAPMLB3584)

Do it in the order above since the tape library and tape device cannot be "ON" at the same time!

If the both start with "TAP" you should see them both using a command like:
wrkcfgsts *dev tap*

Which should give a display like:
Work with Configuration Status TX
02/04/11 16
Position to . . . . . Starting characters

Type options, press Enter.
1=Vary on 2=Vary off 5=Work with job 8=Work with description
9=Display mode status 13=Work with APPN status...

Opt Description Status -------------Job-----------
TAPMLB3584 VARIED ON
TAP01 VARIED OFF

Also make sure nothing will try to access the tape library during that time it's OFF

Hope this helps.
Ed