Hello.

I am looking for some insight and points to evaluate concerning multiple
environments and multiple servers / iSeries for XA and related
applications.

First, a little background. We are an XA R7.7 site currently with two
environments shared using Shared Applications from Watermark. We have
seven physical sites / locations. The two environments are primarily
for currency reasons. Our sites are connected via MPLS network with our
client applications running on Citrix. Our primary XA applications
include IFM, EPDM, MRP, OBPM, PM, IM, MM, and you probably get the
direction. We are sharing financials, enterprise items, item revisions,
and code files between our environments currently. A fair share of data
/ transactions are via 5250...

Now, I am looking at our first European and potentially Asian
implementations. As I speak with some users and our affiliate, I am
learning more...and trying to weigh the information. I am looking for
'thoughts' as well as references / best practices.

Initially (and probably currently) I leaned toward implementing in
Europe on a separate iSeries. We have leaned toward the thought of a
North America data center and a European data center. I would probably
lean toward a similar initial thought in Asia...but I am exploring. The
primary thoughts were 'local' and perhaps network / WAN isolation. In
the past week, I have spoken with a number of folks implemented on a
single server - some in multiple environments on a single partition,
others with multiple LPARS.

I will admit, I incorrectly assumed I could share data across multiple
iSeries...but I apparently can't...and the more I think about it...that
would present a number of issues similar to running on one
iSeries....anyway.

So...I'm asking for feedback and 'concerns' that we should consider as
we set our internal corporate direction. We are working with our local
affiliate and the local affiliate(s) for our plants...but the discussion
on this list is usually on point...and useful...yes I am looking for
some education.

Some Considerations Currently in Mind...

* Client performance (would expect to use Citrix or Terminal
Server as appropriate)

* Time zone

* Currency (we are OK with multiple environments...or even boxes
if that is the best recommendation)

* Integration with manufacturing / latency / shutting down
manufacturing if the WAN / MPLS / ... network fails

* Chart of account maintenance / synch'ing

* Enterprise items (internal discussion about 'one' item across
global operations - at least for direct material)

* Security

* Language

* ....

Figured it can't hurt to ask....

Thanks for the insight.

Chuck Mick

Diversified Machine Inc.

(o) 248.277.4315

(m) 517.643.3548

Confidential: This electronic message and all contents or attachments contain information from Diversified Machine, Inc. which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, or have received this message in error, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us immediately (248-277-4311) and destroy the original message and all copies.ÂThank you for your assistance in this matter.
** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail **