From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kevin Fox
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:34 PM
To: 'MAPICS ERP System Discussion'
Subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] Support for Release 6

All,

Support for R5 is EOL. What this means is that no more bugs have been
found in a significant amount of time (i.e. 1 year) and so ending
support just means that no new fixes will be required. Anyone running
R5 will be happy as they should not be having code issues.

Obviously there are still bugs found in R6. Mostly related to
non-Atlanta application integration (i.e. Advanced Planner, et.al.)

There is no announcement on 8.0. Release 7.8 will be General Release
(GA)
approx. the same time as the conference in Las Vegas. At that time they
will most likely announce 7.9 for next year.

I'd suspect, and this is just my opinion, that they will not announce
R8.0 until 100% of green screen is out of the product.

That being said, there are major enhancements at 7.8 that make it almost
a new application. R7.8 was just early released mid May. We are in the
process of deploying it and hope to have it running in approx. 2 weeks.
Please note that it is an almost new application with significant
changes to the underlying architecture. So far, so good.

The enhancements to Enterprise Integrator, System Link and Net Link are
such that it would be impossible not to be able to cost justify and
upgrade from any previous version. This includes 7.7! AND THAT DOES
NOT INCLUDE THE MAJOR ENHANCEMENTS IN THE CORE APPLICATIONS (I.E.
Inventory Transactions and History Tracking!)

Will keep you all posted on our progress.

Kevin Fox