All of that sounds good. One other point. If you receive the 'returned'
item back into stock under a different item number (put an 'R' at the
beginning, for example), you can track its receipt and in stock position.
Then, when you release the MO to rebuild it, use B/M 'no' and add the 'R'
item as the component. That shows the damaged item being issued to the reman
work order. Makes it a little more visible in the overall scheme of things.
MRP is okay because you are not allocating the regular components but you
are showing the expected receipt after its rebuilt, which is good. And, yes,
it should be in the planning warehouse.

Dave Turbide

dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

message: 1

date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:19:49 -0400

from: DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx

subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] Repair-Reman MO

None that we've seen. We've used this approach since the S/36 MAPICS II

days in the 80's. Purchasing occasionally gets upset when the reworkers

use what they consider an excess of expensive parts, but I remind them that
it's no different than if production damages and scraps the stuff (which we
all know NEVER happens!!!).

Tracking is good (they put a tag# in REFNO for the IU transactions to show
the repair order also - allows for a LOT of reporting that way), and as I

said, we WANT the parts to show as consumed in MRP. I mean, not much

difference than TW'ing them to a different warehouse, but why have a bunch

of warehouses you don't need? Just a lot of excess ITEMBL records that

way.

Dale Gindlesperger

IT Manager/Special Projects Leader

Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.

258 Beacon Street

Somerset, PA 15501

"Charley Simpson"

<csimpson@TURBONE

TICSINC.COM> To

Sent by: "MAPICS ERP System Discussion"

mapics-l-bounces@ <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

midrange.com cc

Subject

09/25/2007 02:03 Re: [MAPICS-L] Repair-Reman MO

PM

Please respond to

MAPICS ERP System

Discussion

<mapics-l@midrang

e.com>

Thanks, all.

I have also thought of a character in the second position as well.

So, if I open an MO with no BOM then I could use the production item number
and add the necessary components (which gives me the ability to track
component usage for product performance metrics) and MRP would see the
components and act accordingly.

Hmmm....

Any down-side to this approach?

Charley

Charley Simpson, CPIM

Director of Operations

805-426-3410

www.turboneticsinc.com

*** Please note that the information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of
communication in error, please notify us by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Turbonetics, Inc. ***