LLoyd, The number of G/L interface rules depends on (1) the number of different
accounts that you want to debit and credit and (2) the number of transaction
types that you use. With that in mind here are some things that you might
consider:

1. Is that account necessary?

a.. In IM you probably need to track inventory activity by warehouse (
reconcile G/L to IM and maybe assign company ) and manufacturing stage ( raw
material, WIP, finished goods ). Generally this is done using Natures; the Unit
is usually the same.
b.. In COM, the level of detail that you use to report sales and cost of
sales from the G/L ( usually via FRx ) is the main driver. If you don't report
it from the G/L, it should not have an account. The other driver is the number
of Accounts Receivable accounts that you use.
c.. In PCC and REP you should only use the G/L interfaces if you reconcile
labor and overhead applied by these applications to you incurred costs.
2. Is the transaction type necessary?

a.. In IM, you must have a G/L Interface transaction type for each IM
Transaction Code (e.g. RP, IP ) that you use.
b.. In COM, PCC, and REP you can use wildcard transaction types instead of
explicit transaction types. For example, you can use R*** as a wildcard for all
revenue transactions. If necessary, you can override a wildcard transaction
type with a more explicit one. For example, use RILI to trump R*** on an
exception basis.
Once you do these things, to identify your real needs, then the next step is to
set up the minimum number of rules. This has two advantages: (1) Better
performance; and (2) Stability because fewer rules means less maintenance.

At this point a divide and conquer approach is key to reducing the number of
rules. The general ledger interfaces are designed so you can assign charge,
offset, and variance accounts to one transaction with separate rules. Also, you
can assign units and natures independently (not true for the Accounting
Management G/L ). This is important because the number of rules required
increases exponentially as the number of account assignment fields used in each
rule increases. For example, suppose your revenue went to 10 different natures,
10 different units, and there were 3 different accounts receivable (personal
ledger) accounts. If you set up one rule for each possibility, you would need
300 ( 10 x 10 x 3 ) rules. Having separate rules for assigning revenue units,
revenue natures, and accounts receivable unit / natures lets you accomplish the
same thing with just 23 ( 10 + 10 + 3 ) rules.

It is also important to keep the number of Priorities to a minimum. If the G/L
interfaces see a Priority, they try to assign an account using that Priority
even though there are no Rules referencing that Priority.

Finally, for IM, PCC, and REP ( also COM if you are using AM G/L ) consider
running the account assignment part of the interface daily. This lets you
spread workload over the month and minimize large reruns during the peak end of
month window.

Bob Tenney
Bob Tenney Solutions, LLC
828-645-6829 / Cell 828-342-8570