If you do an automated IPL using the Job Scheduler (we used to do that -
4am IPL every Sunday, with an additional "QSTRUP02" that was scheduled 30
minutes after the IPL start), you could probably safely count on the reorgs
to be able to start no later than 30 minutes post-IPL (ROBOT Scheduler).
We have some pretty big files, and my reorgs rarely take more than 4 hours.
So I would think you should be OK.

I assume you are programmatically restarting your unnattached jobs?

BTW - we stopped the automated IPLs and such 2 years ago when our COM_Net
usage got so heavy that we decided to eliminate even that small amount of
downtime.  Now we only IPL on special occasions, which is a pain for me (I
come in and do them manually), but it sure makes the customers happier.
Our international customers love being able to look stuff up anytime, and
not be restricted to US Eastern Standard Time hours.

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street
Somerset, PA  15501

             Peter Vidal
             <Peter_Vidal@pall
             Sent by:                  MAPICS ERP System Discussion
             mapics-l-bounces@         <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/15/2006 09:17          Re: [MAPICS-L] File Reorganization
             AM                        at iSeries IPL

             Please respond to
             MAPICS ERP System
                Discussion
             <mapics-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Thank you Dale,

Yes we do have ROBOT.  As a matter of fact, we also have REPLAY and we
already "learned" the steps for ROBOT to take care.  the issue is that we
do not know for sure how much time a file reog will take and we have the
Sunday shift working at 6:00PM.  Probably is fair enough in terms of time,
but we do not want to make assumptions.  We have more than one location in
our box: probably our shift schedule is not as aggressive as the others.

The $1,000,000.00 question is: can I run this ROBOT job from the iSeries
startup CLP?

TIA,

Peter Vidal
PALL Corporation / SR Programmer Analyst, IT Development Group
10540 Ridge Rd., Ste 203, New Port Richey, FL 34654-5111
http://www.pall.com

"Sincerity is the way of Heaven."
Mencius (371 BC - 289 BC), Works

DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/15/2006 07:48 AM
Please respond to MAPICS ERP System Discussion