Terry, Not sure if you are aware of this but in cross apps. under reports
option #5 (file record layout) you can print out the files by a particular
module. This would give you the file names and the flds with the file. Could be
a very large report depending on the module... Plus you can print the fld
characteristics.. (except for COM files)
There is also a cmd key to print out an individual file or a few files... I
used this all the time till I learned the files. I still use this once in
awhile..
Hope this helps
Pete Olshavsky
Independent Mapics Programmer

Terry LeBlanc <TLeBlanc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One of the major issue that we constantly struggle with is trying to
find the right data in the MAPICS data structures.

The limited file and field name lengths tend to make things cryptic, and
the lack of robust schema documentation with searchable or traceable
cross references make it very difficult to find the right data elements
for selection.

We do use ERLCOM, which helps with COM data elements, and we do use the
features of Browser, but it is a consistent struggle to find the right
data. We contact MAPICS Support, but it still appears to be a trial and
error approach to finding the right data.

That will not change with Crystal, that's a fundamental problem with the
MAPICS/Infor XA database schema and the lack of adequate documentation.
What Crystal may provide is a consistent structure for mapping the data
and constructing standard, repeatable reports within a single
platform...something we don't currently have.

We use Query, Browser, and ODBC-based tools like Access to select and
extract data from MAPICS XA environments, then manipulate within Excel.
Lot of opportunity for errors in that model...

We are planning to upgrade from XA 5.5 to XA 7.0, not sure if that will
change the decision matrix, but we need to find a better way. That's
the mission...

Any feedback or useful examples of Crystal or other reporting structures
would be very useful in helping us to evaluate our options. That's what
I'm trying to glean here, with help from the folks here who know a lot
more about this than I do.

Terry J. LeBlanc
Nailite International