Do any of your Manufactured items involve Printed Circuit boards?  Pay
careful attention if they do, as EPDM currently does not, by itself,
support Reference designators.  To clarify, say I've got a BOM with 13 of
the same capacitors, what a reference designator does is provide a
"Reference" Location for proper placement on the fab.  We overlooked this 4
years ago, and have been paying dearly ever since.

Lloyd H. Degnon
I.S. Manager
AmPro Computers, Inc.
5215 Hellyer Ave.
Building #110
San Jose, CA 95138
(408) 360-4365
ldegnon@xxxxxxxxx
www.AmPro.com

             "Rudy_Bakker"
             <Rudy_Bakker@amat
             rol.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             mapics-l-bounces@                                          cc
             midrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       EPDM - Devil in the details??
             10/06/2004 08:49
             AM

             Please respond to
             MAPICS ERP System
                Discussion
             <mapics-l@midrang
                  e.com>

First, Thanks to all of you for the input on EPDM from my posting in
August.
I still have a couple of questions, but I need to give you some background
first:

We're a one site/one (production) warehouse facility. From my reading, it
(EPDM) doesn't appear to impact Manufacturing, Inventory Control, and
Accounting all that much.

It seems to me the greatest impact/return would be on/for our Design
Engineering Group. In the organization I'm part of, the design group
does/decides/controls everything (design, CAD, product management/release,
cost estimating, configuration control, production engineering, P/Ns,
descriptions, BOM structure,etc.). The company's two IT techs report to
them
as well.

Manufacturing's responsibilities (as they relate to MAPICs) are limited
purchasing functions, routing creation, manufacturing order release, order
shipments, capacity planning, scheduling, MRP, etc. I don't see a need for
alternate BOMs/routings except maybe for items we might choose to have
fabricated on the outside as opposed to in-house (when capacity is
exceeded).

Inventory Control does receipts, spot counts, picklist fullfillment, etc.
They are part of Accounting which does the data entry (against engineering
data) into the item master, they do cost rolls and the regular end of the
month stuff.

Now, it seems to me that every group can pretty much do as they have in the
past, except the burden of populating the item master, along with it's BOM
would now rest on Engineering (importing from CAD). It also seems to me
they
would benefit from the simulation sites 'cause it would probably make it
easier for them to estimate costs. With EPDM, the responsibility of product
release via MAPICS and data import would fall on them.

>From what I've just shared, do you see anything (beyond training on the
new
screens) I've missed?

Since we already have to live/operate to Design Engineering "language" and
decision making, do you see any way we (Manufacturing, Inventory Control,
and Accounting) could be otherwise negatively impacted by the
implementation
of EPDM?

I'm sorry if I'm presenting a very simple view of our organization, or my
perception of implemention is a simplistic one, I just don't see "Devil in
the details".

Am I missing somethng??

TIA,

Rudy Bakker