We use legend labels on the rack uprights

----- AA3 ----| | ---- BB3 -----
----- AA2 ----| | ---- BB2 -----
----- AA1 ----| | ---- BB1 -----
                                       ^
                                        |_  A label is placed on the rack
upright place around 5ft of the ground contains all the "level" barcodes
and an arrow to specify which side it is on. Also the cross beams are
barcoded.

This allows for scanning at walking height, or also at hi-lift height.

If you want a gun that can do long distances, check out the Symbol
Powerscan XLR, but be aware they can be a bit funky.

Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael K. Huber
Applications Development & AS/400 Operations
Pentair/Plymouth Products, Inc
502 Indiana Ave - Sheboygan, WI 53081
Phone: (920) 451-9417      FAX: (920) 803-3541     Cellular: (920)
698-0013 Mobile Messaging: 9206980013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Confidentiality Note:   This e-mail message and any attachments to it are
intended only for the named recipients and may contain confidential
information.  If you are not one of the intended recipients, please do not
duplicate or forward this e-mail message and immediately delete it from
your computer.

Bonnie_Lokenvitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/17/2003 02:59 PM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Barcoding Warehouse Racks

In anticipation of our new bar coding applications, we need to re-barcode
our racks.
Our current applications are used by warehouse handlers who use highlifts
and they
are at rack level when they scan.

In the future some of the users will be on traditional forklifts at floor
level.
Our problem are the racks at the 15 foot+ level.

How do others handle the physical labeling of racks?  Do your scanners
reach that distance?

Thanks,
Bonnie Lokenvitz
Engineered Polymers