Was supposed to do this last night, but I got tied up.

First some assumptions. Most firms have a contact which the customer calls,
faxes or emails on an RWC item. That department or person in some form OK's or
denies the request. Assume that the request is granted.

With a granted RWC request and all the necessary paperwork, non MAPICS, to
have the material returned to you, finance now needs an audit trail.

Most firms I have dealt with and used a variation of the format I will
describe use COM to create the financial audit trail. Therefore a COM order (
e.g.,
CO 1234 ) is created with a link to the return either by customer PO, internal
authorization number etc in a company specified COM field.

So now we have a non MAPICS internal return tracking number and a MAPICS COM
order tied together.

Assuming that IM, PC&C, & PMC are atleast installed, a clerk can manually
enter an "M" # which directly ties to the "CO" # which has a specific "M"#
prefix
( e.g., CO1234  -  MR12340 ). The "R" prefix could be for returns, MW12340
for warranty and MC12340 for credits with or without material return to site.

SO now we have an internal return number tied to a CO1234 which is tied to an
MR12340. This is the simplest of audit trails.

The item number on the "M" number would be a generic description item master
such as "Television Sony". If a person needs to return a Sony television, we
would have MR12340 with an item number of "Television Sony".

A generic BOM could be created for "television Sony" for anything from
floorstock items or known chargeable items for every return of that type. When
the
produce arrives on your dock, and subsequent repair parts are required, they
can be manually added to the existing BOM

A generic routing can be created for tracking and progress entered through
the labor tracking system, MAPICS, MDCC, etc. e.g. Usually specific work center
are created for the return routings to separate them from production.

        operation    0010    Receive to dock

                                    this could audit not only the date
received, but compare it to the time
                                    the customer had to return it.

                        0020    Inspect for completeness

                                    someone other than receiving verifies
that the product return is the correct
                                    items authorized and the quantity, serial
# etc is correct

                        0030    Evaluate

                                    a technician now evaluates the product
for disposition. Restock, repair, scrap, etc.

                        9999    Finance signoff

As each operation is complete, we can track it through MAPICS from a service
point, a COM point and a manufacturing point.

With an established routing, steps can be added after Evaluation to direct it
to the proper department or disposition and apply labor and material cost and
load MRP requirements if needed.

"9999" would be the finance audit to sign off on the order as to which
account to charge for parts and labor. At the completion of "9999" the order
would
reach status "55", be normally closed and go to history at the end of the month
close.

As I stated, this is plain vanilla. MAPICS queries can be written to refine
reports for finance, materials, quality, production, etc.

 ANY NEW PERSONNEL ONLY HAVE TO LEARN MAPICS AND THEN FOLLOW A PROCEDURE.
THEY DO NOT HAVE TO LEARN MAPICS and WCFIELD or WHATEVER.

ANY TIME YOU DO A MAPICS PTF OR UPGRADE, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT
SECOND SOURCE SOFTWARE.

IF YOU WRITE INTERNAL CODE FOR MAPICS, THE RWC SYSTEM REMAINS INTACT VERSUS
HAVING TO CHECK OUTSIDE SOFTWARE.

This is only the tip of the iceberg as that every company is unique. BUT I
have personally designed, documented and implemented some variation of this in
5
companies totaling 17 plants.

Hope it helps someone.

Dennis Guy Vaillant