From: DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 11:49 AM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: Re: Receipt-to-Stock/Inspection

Nandu,

We had a similar situation in the past at our company, and were leaning
hard towards your "option 2".  Our biggest concern was that the
material/parts don't show as on-hand for MRP until the "RP" is processed,
which can cause a lot of headachs for Purchasing.  In our case, the
situation went away before we decided (changed vendors and how we acquired
the parts).

However, we currently do a lot of your "option 1" methodology for shipping
our product.  We are in the opposite situation - we need to relieve our
inventory of product as soon as it is shipped, but we cannot bill until it
is actually delivered (SEC regulations).  So we just do a "TW" into an
in-transit warehouse, then invoice and relieve all inventory on delivery
confirmation.  That works very well - the biggest benefits are that
accounting knows exactly what is in-transit and we still have full
visibility in the system.

I know that if we had to choose what to do today, we would pick "option 2"
over the alternative.  I think you have better auditing control (IMHIST,
actual on-hands in inventory locations, and so on).

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
Somerset, PA

                      "Nandagopal

                      Padmanabhan"              To:
<mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      <npadmanabhan@xxxx        cc:

                      as-awt.com>               Subject:
Receipt-to-Stock/Inspection
                      Sent by:

                      mapics-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      08/25/2003 01:37

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      MAPICS ERP System

                      Discussion

Hello Group,
We have an interesting business situation. We are the American subsidiary
of a Danish manufacturing company and we procure 99% of our components from
our parent company. Our parent company sends us invoices as soon as the
components are shipped from Denmark and based on the agreement between the
parent company and the subsidiary, all invoices get paid even before the
components arrive at the American warehouses.

To facilitate invoice processing in MAPICS, we have been doing a
receipt-to-dock process upon receiving invoices from our parent company.
This ensures that invoices get processed and at the same time the
components are not in stock. However, our Finance department is not
comfortable with this entire process because at any given point in time, we
have a huge amount of inventory on our books, but we don't have those
components in our MAPICS warehouses. All our warehouses are controlled
warehouses.

The challenge that we are faced with is to design a process which will help
us get away from our current process. I have two thoughts on my mind:

Option 1: Set up a transit warehouse with a unique location for each of our
warehouses. So every time we get an invoice, we can perform a
receipt-to-stock into a location (unique to the warehouse the components
are being shipped to). As soon as the warehouses physically receive the
components, they can do an inter-warehouse transfer to move the items from
the transit warehouse into their warehouse.

Option 2: Set up a quality control process where the components are
received (RI transaction) into the actual stocking warehouses and flagged
to go through a quality control process. Upon physically receiving the
components, the warehouse can perform quality control transactions (PQ) to
approve the items and make them available for consumption.

>From an inventory and procurement viewpoint, Option 2 is going to work
better as item availability at the item-warehouse level gives us an
overview of what's on-hand, on-order, allocated for a given warehouse and
we don't have to take into consideration what is in another warehouse
(transit). I would like to know about some important
inventory/procurement/financial implications of Option 1 and Option 3. I
would also like to get other ideas using which an appropriate solution can
be implemented.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Nandu