History of MAPICS and the Universe - part #3....

Well, after Carl Sagen got started, he discovered a new feature in MAPICS,
called COM_Net (Cosmic Organizational Management over the subspace etherNet).
After he found our about COM_Net, he installed that and had the
various civilizations around the galaxy (all the beeellions and
beeeellions of them) enter their own information, saving Carl enormous
amounts of time and money.  This eliminated a lot of bothersome clerical
effort and paperwork, not to mention speeding up his cataloging of the
data.  Unfortunately, Mr. Sagen found that COM_Net doesn't run on Linux -
he had to install Windows IIS (Incredibly
Insecure Service), but you can't have everything.

Later, Mr. Sagan installed MDCC (Majorly Dynamic Cosmic Collector) to automate
even more of his data collection, and that improved
his processing even more.  Using MDCC, he was able to have his loyal
interns, students, and associates update his PCC (Primary Catalog of the
Cosmos) databases using laser scanning and other automated data feeds. This
saved him even more time and money in reduction of paperwork and clerical
function.

Overall, Mr. Sagan has been very pleased with the continual progression of
his MAPICS software, as it kept pace with new developments in technology,
and the needs of his sophisticated projects.  The expanding capabilities
and applications within the MAPICS umbrella allows him to run his research
facilities more efficiently, and he is able to fund even more research
with the savings he has gained from effective use of MAPICS.  He is
especially eager to move to the new Release 7 of MAPICS, and it's
conversion to the much more efficient Java (Journey Around Virtually Anywhere)
interface, which will allow him to expand his research
capabilities considerably, and not have to invest heavily in expansion.
The new Java-based Release 7 of MAPICS will make it even easier for Mr.
Sagan to tie in his various sites and research partners.  Full
implementation of MAPICS Browser with ERP Essentials (Extragalactic Reseach
Protocols) will make research and collation of data faster, and more
effective.  He will save even more money in the long run by being able to
utilize thin-client technology.  He is slightly annoyed at the continuing
delay of release of all the Java components, however - especially the CSM
(Cosmic Space Management) and Integrator functions.  However, he is hoping for
good news at the upcoming
Interstellar MAPICS User Conference regarding this, and is also eager to
hear what else is new!

:
:
:

OK - there's my turn - next?

Dale @ Fleetwood

;)

"Jeff Snyder" <jeffreygsnyder@hotmail.com>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@midrange.com
01/27/2003 12:41 PM
Please respond to MAPICS ERP System Discussion