Lloyd,

IFM was written by another company and later integrated with COM.  Have you
looked at the Entity Relation Tools called ERLCOMn or ERLIFMn (n=Release level,
e.g. ERLCOM5 or ERLCOM6)?  A programmer will have to know the files and fields
in both applications as there are some fields in COM that do not map to IFM and
vice versus.  There isn't any quick reference other than these two tools to
help understand the files if you do not have SYNON and the source code.

Another idea would be to write programs to harvest the fields from the files
you want and set up your own data warehouse set of files for using for your
reports.  It could be updated nightly so that data on reports would only be up
to 24 hours old.  That way you could cut down on the number of "joins" you
needed and structure the files the way 'you' need them.  It would take a
programmer though that really know the content of the files or is proactive
enough to research the data in the files.

Just some ideas that hopefully can help you.  The two tools ERLCOMn and ERLIFMn
are available from MAPICS free.  Hope this helps.

Paola Groeber
MAPICS Consultant
770-591-1497