Patrick, I have authored a cost primer called "Cost Accounting Happens In
MAPICS" which you can order from my www.tenneypubs.com web site.

Given your current setup, I believe that you have two choices--separate item
numbers or separate environments.

As I see it, using a single environment has some very serious drawbacks.

  a.. MAPICS assumes that there is ONE base (local) currency in an environment.
If you mix base currencies in an environment really bad things happen (100 USD
+ 100 P$ + 100 RMB = 300 ???). If adhere to the ONE base currency rule, then
your people in Mexico and China have to convert amounts into Pesos and RMB to
satisfy Mexican and Chinese authorities.
  b.. The multiple item number problem is probably the tip of the ice berg. I
suspect that there are many other duplications to work around the differences
between the US, Mexican, and Chinese operations.
Using separate environments for each country solves these problems. Each
country can have its own base currency so you eliminate hassles with the
authorities,  and you can vary standard costs and other factors within each
environment to suit the way it does business. Separate environments do have
downsides:

  a.. Splitting ongoing operations from one environment to three environments
requires planning.
  b.. You need to add the Inter Site Logistics module to manufacturing activity
across the three environments.
  c.. You need to translate the Mexican and Chinese amounts into US$ for
consolidation purposes. IFM and FRx are your best bets.
If you introduce EPDM into your installation, then you can solve the problem by
having one item with multiple routings.

Bob Tenney, CPA
Bob Tenney Solutions, LLC
828-526-8976