OK - not in line with current "lean" or "just-in-time" thinking but if
that's what management wants to do, then let's talk about how to do it.

For the assembly portion of the business, it sounds like you're doing OK
with MRP and MPSP driving from the forecast and customer orders. That
should continue.

For the components, you will have to generate your master schedule by hand.
You can do this in MPSP using the "manual" source of demand. This would
require that you code each of these component items as a "master scheduled
item" in order to have MPSP see them. You cannot "production plan" schedule
these items because you are not allowed to include anything but level 0
items in a planning family.
So, each component must be manually scheduled through MPSP.

You could also use master scheduling in MRP but this has some unique
problems. MRP master scheduling always "nets" inventory against demand.
This means that you would have to continually inflate the requirement to be
able to generate more planned orders for items that you already have in stock.

These topics are explored in my book "MAPICS Planning". I have about 100
copies left in stock if you're interested.

Just as another tip - I have been working with a company called Systems
Plus that has a product called OTTO that provides outstanding visibility
for those times when you are building components to fulfill customer orders
at the same time you're building for stock. It sorts out where everything
is going and allows you to properly prioritize the items that are really
needed soon against the ones being built for stock. Check out
www.systemspluscorp.com for more information. OTTO embodies a process I
call "RPM" which is explained in the press release found on my web site
www.daveturbide.com

Good luck.