Some thoughts:

First, it is important to know how you tailored MAPICS (PDM) for costing. If
you are tailored for standard costing, MAPICS will first go to item balance
standard unit cost; if that is zero it will proceed to item master unit cost
default. This is true for all activity, including MO costs. So, it sounds
like you might want to seriously consider populating the item balance
record, standard cost field. Then your MO's will reflect the cost of the
item. The only difference between actual cost and standard cost on the MO
would be if the item balance standard cost changes.

Also, obviously discuss with your accounting group. There may be some reason
they do not want item balance standard cost populated. For example, another
question to ask your accounting group is whether they have general ledger
interface turned on. If they do, then they must somehow be handling the
activity on your type 1 and 2 parts manually, since both item master and
item balance standard cost is zero. If you populate item balance standard
cost, then transactions on those parts will begin to show activity.

Just some thoughts.

Bill Mongan, CPA
Cost Accounting Manager
Generac Power Systems, Inc.