  • Subject: MAPICS History
  • From: Dave Shaw <dshaw1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:14:34 -0400

    <posted on behalf of Gail Crane>

you wrote
As I recall, in the late 80's GMD was contracted by IBM to handle PTF's and
later on GMD took over MAPICS.  Then I got out of the MAPICS arena for a
while and when I came back, GMD seems to have disappeared and Marcam (now
MAPICS, Inc.?) has the product.

Got it a bit wrong.....MAPICS was an IBM product, sold and supported by IBM.
Then as IBM became more involved with other ERP companies such as JDE and
SAP
and BPICS, IBM sold off MAPICS to MARCAM.  This process took approx 2-3
years
for MARCAM to take full control.   Eventually MARCAM had total control.
Then as
MAPICS was being stymied by MARCAM (MARCAM had some competitive products)
MAPICS, Inc was formed with sole purpose of MAPICS software, buying,selling
developing and supporting.  No more conflicts of interest.  How you remember
GMD
was that one or two of the principles of MARCAM was previously a principle
of
GMD (I believe).  Now who was it?  Was it Cook?  Now there I can't remember.

Well, they don't call me "Grandma MAPICS" for nothing.  Been using MAPICS
since
1980-81 time frame.  I was also the MAPICS Project Manager at COMMON way
back
when - before CIM. Some of the same people from the old days are still at
MAPICS, Inc. and even a few of the same telephone support people who answer
the
phone on your 1st call in.   MAPICS sure has changed ALOT and is changing so
fast now that they have control of their own destiny,  it is hard to keep
up.
PTF's and electronic support......how did we ever survive without it?

Are you using any client server apps like MMA, Browser, PDM+ etc.?  We
are......all I can say is WOW.  MAPICS is sure not what it was in the 80's
or
early 90's.

Gail Crane
Johanson Manufacturing Corp.