Does gmail connect to exchange? I love google calendar. I use it all the
time. I have never used exchange... call me un/lucky. So for me it
wouldn't matter.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: linuxdesktop4i-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/05/2009 10:59 AM
Please respond to
Discuss & plan a Linux based desktop environment for IBM i
<linuxdesktop4i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

linuxdesktop4i@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [LinuxDesktop4i] Codeweavers Crossover product - Run Windows apps on
Linux

When I am operating at home on my Ubuntu desktop I find it better to just
load up VirtualBox and my XP Pro instance for the few Windows apps I need
access to. Especially with the VirtualBox "seamless" mode it feels, well,
fairly seamless to Alt+Tab from RDi to a Linux app. Here is a screen shot
of RDi running in a VirtualBox instance with Ubuntu Linux as the host:

http://mowyourlawn.com/temp/rdi_seamless.png

My big issue right now is finding a mail/calendar client that is close to
being as solid as Outlook 2007. My two issues with Thunderbird is that it
doesn't do Exchange calendars and it does a hard crash anytime I paste
something into an email message from tn5250j or SquirrelSQL. My issue
with Evolution is that it is sooo stinking slow when it attempts to
resolve email addresses as I am typing them in (usually locks it up for 20
seconds), though it *does* support Exchange calendars. I wish they had a
setting to turn off email validation. I have also tried Zimbra which is
ok, but again, no Exchange calendar. And the new Seamonkey, which is
based on Mozilla, also has the same crashing issue as Thunderbird.

I once tried to get a Lotus email client installed, but that didn't end up
working (don't remember why - maybe it was only a trial and didn't connect
with Exchange).

So right now I recently switched back to using Outlook 2007 in VirtualBox.
IMO, nobody yet compares to Microsoft's efforts in Outlook. Sure it has
issues here and there, but it works better than all others I have tried
concerning both email AND calendar.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>