Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 15:58:17 -0600
From: tn5250@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] auto-signon

Hi Bart,

Hmmm... not familiar with Raspberry Pi (I think I said that yesterday,
too...)

But, years ago I did something similar on RedHat. I also have done this
quite a bit on FreeBSD (which isn't Linux, but is similar in many ways.)

Running something from the startup rc scripts never worked because they
are not associated with a terminal, so I couldn't do anything that
required any fancy terminal I/O.

So what I did instead on linux was make my own copy of 'getty' (the
program that starts the ttys) that I modified to run my copy of tn5250,
and then configured my system to start the terminals using my special
copy of getty. This worked very well, and if the terminal session got
killed somehow, the init process would automatically restart it, so that
was helpful, too.

On FreeBSD, the getty program was much more configurable, I could add an
entry to my /etc/gettytab file that runs a shell script when the
terminal is opened... and so I made that script start up tn5250, then
adjusted /etc/ttys to make it run the script on certain terminals.

Not sure if any of that applies to Raspberry Pi, of course... but
thought it might be worth mentioning...