From: Michael D. Setzer II [mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:54 AM
To: John Aldrich
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] two questions

From: "John Aldrich" <jaldrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Linux 5250 Development Project'"
<linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date sent: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:36:55 -0400
Subject: [LINUX5250] two questions
Send reply to: Linux 5250 Development Project
<linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

1)How does one set up a host-based printer queue in TN5250 and 2)How the
heck do I get a command that requires an "F" key to work? i.e. F10 or F11?
really don't want to put these users back on a Windows machine, but I will
have to if I don't figure out how to at least work around the function key
problem... I think I can work around the printer issue, but not sure about
the function key.

Thanks!

For some things, I've like the tn5250j that is available of
sourceforge. It has a keypad option, that puts function key buttons
on the bottom of the screen that can be clicked on with a mouse,
while the function keys can also be used. It also has a new option
to map keys.

Unfortunately, the new 6.03 doesn't have an install setup, so I
would generally use the 6.02 install, and then just replace the jar
file.

I believe one could just use the 6.03 and set it up to run the
program by using java -jar /pathtofile/tn5250j.jar

With the 6.02 setup, it makes the directory, and this is the startup
file contents.

#! /bin/sh

# Runs the tn5250j 5250 java emulator

# Sets the tn5250j home directory
TN5250J_HOME='/usr/local/tn5250j'

# Change to the emulator's directory
cd ${TN5250J_HOME}/

# Does the effective launching
java -jar "lib/tn5250j.jar" $1

For printing I use the this one line script

lp5250d env.DEVNAME=prtd7lin env.IBMMFRTYPMDL=*HP4000
as400gcc.dyndns.org

With my setup this then prints to the printer for my classroom that
is a cups default printer for the machine.

at http://archive.midrange.com/linux5250.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 10898843.776988 | EINSTEIN 6041819.840851
ROSETTA 3265227.160563 | ABC 6429989.946223