Hmmm... I don't have an X11 system in front of me to test, but I think it's shift-right-click in the xt5250 window? Or maybe it's ctrl-right-click? (or ctrl-left click? Something like that... you'll figure it out with a few combinations)

Anyway, you'll get a screen where you can choose between different sizes (big, medium, small, tiny) and you can pick a larger one.

Alternately, you can change the font by specifying the font_80 or font_132 keywords in your .tn5250rc file.

Regarding keyboard mapping... getting terminal-based keyboard mapping to work is not trivial, and varies from system to system and terminal to terminal. I'm not familiar with Debian, and am not in a good position to help you with that.

But, basically, you need to set up your terminal to send unique escape sequences for all of the keys. I don't know how Debian deals with this, but there's an example us5250.map and uk5250.map files in the Linux directory of the distro that should give you a starting point. On other Linux systems, you use loadkeys to load the map.

Secondly, your termcap/terminfo (whichever you use) must understand the escape sequences you're sending. It must recognize that the sequence from loadkeys results in a particular function key (or whatever) being pressed. That's how the system recognizes your function key. If the system recognizes them, tn5250 should too.

It gets more tricky when you don't use the console as your terminal, but instead use a terminal program or X11 terminal program, since these don't always have an equivalent to loadkeys, and since there are so many of them, it's hard to find people with experience using them.

Ultimately, it might be easier to just use xt5250 (which always uses xterm as it's terminal, and knows how to set up the keyboard for it) or to use x5250 (which doesn't use the curses terminal input, but reads the keyboard scan codes directly.)

Good luck