You say that the iSeries is on a private LAN. Why not just write a program using ODBC to access the data you are after? Or, create some stored procedures on the iSeries and use a web service over there. I wonder if the direction is coming from someone that does not realize those facilities are available on that machine, or alternatively you don't have the ability to sign on and create things there. If the goal is to run specific commands, you might consider an FTP script using "syscmd".

That said creating a screen scraper application really is all about knowing the 5250 data stream.

Try this for more understanding. I pulled it from V5R3 since you said "iSeries" guessing that the system might be a bit further back in OS than current. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/apis/dsm1f.htm

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC