On Fri June 11 2010, Alberto wrote:
Hi John, i don't know if you have solved but let me give you some hints
about :
The much easier way for link a printer to linux is have also the Lan
interface on it.
When you're able (let's imagine that we're using Ubuntu) to add the
printer to the system , you will be more able to use it as printer on
the AS/400 with lp5250d.

this could be a simple command line :

lp5250d map=280 env.DEVNAME=PRTLASER env.IBMMFRTYPMDL=*HP4
outputcommand="scs2ascii | lp -d YOURPRINTERNAME" myas400.domain

means that you're able now to send a spool file to PRTLASER on the
Iseries and you will get the printed page on your printer. :-)

I assure that this works, i use it every day.
Ciao.
Alberto Ernestini.

Thanks, Alberto. I will not need to print from the desktop, per se. We are
a carpet manufacturer, so the users in question, will only need to print
their orders for what to cut and how long to cut them. :-) That is strictly
AS/400 stuff. I have a spare network print server that I can set up, I just
haven't gotten around to it yet. :-)