From: Evan List <paratwa950@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] x5250 destructive backspace?
To: "Linux 5250 Development Project" <linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, February 1, 2010, 4:58 AM
Its a Linux distro called
Thinstation.  It is specifically made as a thin client
OS.  Very light and very quick to load.  Its main
use is to use traditional PCs as diskless thin
clients.  As an example I have the OS with all drivers,
X window (with iceWM), the current x5250, rdesktop client, a
calculator app, in under an 8MB image that PXE boots from
the network to diskless PCs.  It boots in under 45
seconds.  I've recently been buy HP t5545 thin clients
and reloading them with Thinstation.

With all its good things, one of the few negatives is some
of the libraries are aging.  There is active
development on the project to migrate to a newer base, but
the current version is so solid it still has many users.

My knowlege compiling is mild.  To try and compile the
newest tn5250 (and x5250) on a glibc 2.3X, I loaded up a
machine with Ubuntu 6.06 (which uses glibc 2.3.6) and tried
compiling the newest cvs of tn5250.  I'm getting and
error:

"Makefile.am.29: variable 'MAYBE_SLANG' not defined
python/Makefile.am:16: variable 'lib5250_la_SOURCES' not
defined."

I found another midrange posting that you posted on
thinking that the automake tools may be too old.
That's what I'm going to try next.

Evan

--- On Sat, 1/30/10, James Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>