A new midrange.com mailing list has been created named LinuxDesktop4i. This
was created because there has been broader acceptance of the desktop
Linux/Unix flavored operating systems in the past few years (vs the
traditional Windows desktop environment). As operating systems like Ubuntu
(www.ubuntu.com) move out of the "for extreme geeks only" to "you only need
to be sort of geeky" we thought it would be good to have a place for people
to post their questions/comments as they make the jump from Windows to these
operating systems for their primary desktop uses.
Please note that this is for ALL flavors of Linux desktop operating systems
including Mac OSX, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, etc. Also please note that this is
FOR THE DESKTOP, so if you have Linux LPAR related questions they would
probably be better suited for the Midrange-L list.
Here are some questions that give an idea of what might pop up on this
- How to get started with Linux on the desktop? Where should I download it?
- What RPG developer tools are available?
- What DB developer tools are available?
- How do I use JT400 on Linux in conjunction with the IBM i?
- How do I connect to the IFS from Linux?
- If I adopt Linux as my desktop, how do I exist within a primarily Windows
- What are my options for 5250 emulation?
- Can I run System i Navigator on Linux?
- Announcements for new applications as they relate to the IBM i crowd.
Go to the following URL to subscribe to the mailing list:
Feel free to subscribe out of complete morbid curiosity.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.