Toby,

That certainly worked for me. Would you explain the reason for
/dev/null and the break command? In the mean time, I will research it
in my book.

Also, will this script work by piping the output of scs2ascii to my
script? I haven't tried that yet. Here is the script, so far:

#! /bin/bash

file=/home/misadmin/ID-4892.txt
users="PHILLIP SAM RICHARD"

for user in $users; do
grep $user $file >/dev/null && cat $file > /home/misadmin/"$user"_`date
+%Y-%m-%d-%H:%m` && break
done

Something like this should work...

users="user1 user2 user3 user4 user5"
file=<name of file>

for user in $users; do
grep $user $file >/dev/null && cat $file > /tmp/"$user"_`date
+%Y-%m-%d-%H:%m` && break
done

--- - Toby Stanfill
--- - Sr. Programmer/Analyst