Hello.
I'm trying to set up a print service on a FreeBSD machine which is
always on, in order to let every PC on the net print to a network
printer when using an AS/400.

So I edited /usr/local/etc/rc.d/prtas400.sh as follow and gave it run
permissions:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "x$1" = "xstart" ]; then
        echo -n ' prtas400'
        /usr/local/bin/lp5250d trace=/var/log/lp5250d.log
env.DEVNAME=XXXXX env.IBMMFRTYPMDL='*LEXOPTRASC' env.IBMPPRSRC1='*A4'
outputcommand='lpr' as400
elif [ "x$1" = "xstop" ]; then
        echo -n ' prtas400'
        killall lp5250d
else
        echo Please specify either 'start' or 'stop'
fi

Now lp5250d starts on boot, but I cannot print anything through as400.
Notice i can print anything with lpr, so that part of the setup is ok.

In /var/log/lp5250d.log I only get:

lp5250d version 0.17.3, built on May  3 2006
host = as400

Second problem is that the daeomon will sooner or later die without
issuing any message.
I could solve this by letting svscan run it, but I would need some
switch to tell lp5250d not to fork in background. Does such a switch exist?

Is there any way to increase verbosity in order to get something useful
in the log file?

Any help is appreciated.

 bye & Thanks
        av.