We may start using TN5250 for our users here. But before we can do this,
we need to create a binary install file for Mac OS X. As some may know,
this is somewhat like doing a FreeBSD version because of their related
lineage at the unix level.

In FreeBSD, you can make a binary install package by typing the following commands:

      cd /usr/ports/net/tn5250
      make package

However, that also means that it won't modify the termcap, so you'd have to modify xt5250 so not try to change the terminal type, or it won't work nicely.

I have no clue if anything I've said above is useful in OS X, I use FreeBSD every day, but haven't had the opportunity to try OS X.

Before I can do this two questions come to mind:

1 - Can anyone provide me with a list of all the files involved? I've
tried looking at the make files, but since I haven't looked at a gcc make
file before I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I've got a rough idea now,
but I want to be sure I don't forget anything.

Here's how I'd check that:

$ cd tn5250-0.17.2
$ mkdir /tmp/tn5250
$ ./configure --prefix=/tmp/tn5250
[snipped output from configure]
$ make && make install
[snipped output from make]
$ cd /tmp/tn5250
$ find . -print
.
./lib
./lib/lib5250.so.0
./lib/lib5250.so
./lib/lib5250.la
./lib/lib5250.a
./lib/pkgconfig
./lib/pkgconfig/tn5250.pc
./bin
./bin/scs2ascii
./bin/scs2pdf
./bin/scs2ps
./bin/tn5250
./bin/lp5250d
./bin/5250keys
./bin/tn5250-config
./bin/xt5250
./include
./include/tn5250.h
./include/tn5250
./include/tn5250/buffer.h
./include/tn5250/codes5250.h
./include/tn5250/conf.h
./include/tn5250/config.h
./include/tn5250/cursesterm.h
./include/tn5250/debug.h
./include/tn5250/dbuffer.h
./include/tn5250/display.h
./include/tn5250/field.h
./include/tn5250/menu.h
./include/tn5250/printsession.h
./include/tn5250/record.h
./include/tn5250/scrollbar.h
./include/tn5250/scs.h
./include/tn5250/session.h
./include/tn5250/slangterm.h
./include/tn5250/stream.h
./include/tn5250/terminal.h
./include/tn5250/utility.h
./include/tn5250/wtd.h
./include/tn5250/window.h
./include/tn5250/macro.h
./man
./man/man1
./man/man1/scs2ascii.1
./man/man1/scs2pdf.1
./man/man1/scs2ps.1
./man/man1/tn5250.1
./man/man1/lp5250d.1
./man/man5
./man/man5/tn5250rc.5
./share
./share/tn5250
./share/tn5250/us.5250.kbd
./share/tn5250/sample.termcap
./share/tn5250/README
./share/tn5250/dialogrc
./share/tn5250/XTerm
./share/aclocal
./share/aclocal/tn5250.m4

2 - What, if any, licensing issues are involved in distributing tn5250 (BTW, not planning on selling this)?

Here's how I'd find out:

$ cd tn5250-0.17.2
$ less src/tn5250.c
/*
 * Copyright (C) 1997 Michael Madore
 *
 * This file is part of TN5250.
 *
 * TN5250 is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * TN5250 is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 * GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
 */

Hmmm.. it says there should be a copy of the GNU LGPL included with the program. Yay! It's there under the name "COPYING".

$ less COPYING
[ the license agreement is shown on the screen ]

Good luck!