Now that I've found a Linux distro that will run GUI on my laptop, I find myself spending more time away from Windows at work. I'm using Fedora Core 3 with Gnome (2.8 I think).

I started with the tn5250 16.5 RPM since it was included with the distro.

My problem is that I need to be able to see and key the cent sign.

Windows:
-> iSeries Access for Windows, I mapped a key for it.
-> WDSCi, I used Alt-155 to type it (and actually cannot see the symbol in the current font I use in WDSCi).

Linux:
-> tn5250 I get a blank space instead of the cent sign.
-> xt5250 I get a dotted square instead of the cent sign. (Copy/paste on that square gives odd results - extra spaces and no ¢ in the file. Using the XTerm to map ¢ to a key put the sign on the screen and added another character after it.)
-> x5250 I can see the cent sign but cannot type it. (If I could copy and paste, that would be fine, but pasting to x5250 doesn't seem to work for me.)

I first thought I just needed a different font, so I tried using font_80 with various different choices. None changed my output, so I thought maybe that feature wasn't in 16.5 and downloaded current source from cvs. Same result.

The font will change if I specify -font in xt5250 but not from font_80 in .tn5250rc.

At this point I just want to avoid rebooting into Windows, so I don't care which program I get to work for me. I figure there's probably something broken in Fedora since I got the same result on another computer with Fedora 1 and used to have it working with an older Red Hat release.

So, is there a secret to getting fonts to work?

Any keyboard mapping for x5250? It doesn't use my XTerm settings.