On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Scott Klement wrote:

> What's up with the colors?  It comes up with a gray background and black
> text, instead of the standard black background and green text.
>
> Bold text still comes up as white, and is almost invisible on the gray
> background.

These color problems are almost certainly a result of your environment
setting the foreground and background colors.  David Gibbs noticed that if
he ran x5250 from gtkterm then it interfered with the proper color
settings.  That's why I've coded x5250 to make the color definitions in
~/.Xdefaults override the command line foreground and background colors
(which is typically a bad thing to do - overriding the command line).

I don't know if you are running gnome-terminal, but try launching x5250
from a standard xterm.  If that doesn't work, try putting these (or
similar) lines in your ~/.Xdefaults:

x5250*redcolor                  : orangered
x5250*greencolor                : green
x5250*bluecolor                 : royalblue
x5250*blackcolor                : black
x5250*whitecolor                : ivory
x5250*yellowcolor               : gold
x5250*turquoisecolor            : darkturquoise
x5250*pinkcolor                 : deeppink

David also noticed that there is a setting in gnome (or maybe just
gnome-terminal?) that turned off the forced foreground/background setting.
I'm sorry I don't know exactly what it was - I don't use gnome.  Of course
maybe you don't either.  If you don't use KDE or gnome or gnome-terminal
or similar and it still doesn't work please let me know.

> It still flickers like crazy whenever you do something that involves
> repainting the screen a lot.

Working on that.  Holding page down through a large spooled file is
particularly annoying :)

> The caret is still a hollow box which is the X11 standard for "this
> window is not selected" which drives me nuts.

I'm working on that as well.  Martin mentioned he would like a blinking
underscore for a cursor.  I'm not sure how to do that, but a filled
block/hollow rectangle like xterm does is certainly doable.  In fact, I
had it that way for a while but the block was covering up the character
beneath, so I changed it to hollow rectangle (and yes, it annoys me too).
I need to draw the cursor, then redraw the character beneath it in reverse
image in the color of the cursor.  This work is on it's way.

> Also, when you left-click anywhere in the window, the caret disappears
> until you type something.

I noticed that bug right after I made the release.  Should be easily fixed
soon.

> The selection mechanism when copying text to the clipboard is strange.  It
> seems to reverse image the characters as you drag the mouse, but doesn't
> show any blanks that you might have selected, which makes it tough to see
> exactly what's been selected.  Please try running gtk-5250, use the mouse
> to select some text -- I'd suggest drawing your selection box the same
> way, as that's how both gtk-5250 and the Windows version work --
> consistency is good.

The missing blanks is a side effect of trying to minimize screen draws.  I
agree, it is strange.  But hopefully not permanent :)  It happens because
x5250 doesn't draw blanks.  When there is a blank, it just doesn't draw
anything.  That makes highlighting the selection break because there is
nothing to highlight.  My fix for this broke more than it fixed, so I
removed it and left the strange behaviour.  Again, this will be better in
a later release - I just wanted to get something usable out there.

> When you middle-click to paste some text, it pastes whereever the mouse
> cursor is. If you like that functionality, fine, but please give me a way to
> disable it. :)

Ok, I guess that means you want the pasted text to be put where ever the
current cursor is?  I can make a pref for that.  I guess the left align
feature would ignore it?

Thanks for all this great feedback!  At least I have stuff to do :)

James Rich

Vs lbh guvax bs argjbex frphevgl nf na vzzhar flfgrz, Jvaqbjf vf UVI.
        -- Wbr Cyhgn