Ref thread http://archive.midrange.com/linux5250/200401/msg00002.html

I don't know if this helps or not, but if I `export TERM=xterm-5250` then
run tn2520 (not xt5250) my backtab works.  That implies to me something is
getting lost in the xt5250 script.  (If I leave my TERM as xterm, the
backtab prints [Z in tn5250 as it does in xt5250.)

Next I tried `exec xterm -tn xterm-5250` to see if my TERM changed.  `echo
$TERM` showed xterm not xterm-5250.  It's also a bit odd that my first
shell window stayed open until I closed the second one.  I thought exec
would replace the existing shell.

I'm still lost, though.  I thought the -tn was setting the terminal type
for keyboard mapping.  Turns out it's the -name that makes it pick up my
changes to the mapping.  That doesn't help solve the problem, of course.