Stefan wrote:
Hi!

I need to generate a PDF-file from a SCS-Stream. Lp5250d connect to the
AS400-System as a printer and printing through scs2ascii with Host
Printing Transformation works fine for my OKI590. But if i try to create a PDF file from the IBM AS/400-SCS-Stream,
scs2pdf results in a broken file, readable with acrobat reader / xpdf,
but with many formatting errors.

The first thing i tried is to create it directly using "scs2pdf >
/tmp/output.ps" as outputcommand for lp2550d. The result was a file
described above. Then i tried creating the file manually by saving the scs-data with
outputcommand="cat - > /tmp/output.scs" and then "cat /tmp/output.scs |
scs2pdf > /tmp/output.pdf".
This created the output.pdf file and, on stderr, i got a list of which i
would say it were fragments of the pdf-file. So i tried to use "cat /tmp/output.scs | scs2pdf &> /tmp/output.pdf".
Everything seemed to be ok, no stderr-output but the result was not the
expected, clean pdf-file.

These three ways result in a pdf-file, readable by pdf-viewers, but with
format mistakes (missing Spaces/LFs, dupicate words, words overwritten
by others...).

I use the following lp5250d-environment defined in the
/root/.tn5250rc-File:

...snip...

asciiprint {
   host = 192.168.0.10
   map = 273
   env.DEVNAME = EDV
   env.IBMMFRTYPMDL = *OKI590IBM
   outputcommand = scs2ascii | lpr
}

[//comment: for the ascii-output , works fine]

pdf {
   host = 192.168.0.10
   map = 273
   env.DEVNAME = EDV
   outputcommand = scs2pdf > /tmp/output.pdf
}

plain {
host = 192.168.0.10
map = 273
env.DEVNAME = EDV
outputcommand = cat - > /tmp/output.scs
}

.../snip...

the syslog does only show the "Job Completed"-message when receiving a
stream from the AS/400.
The same with the log-file passed to lp5250d through the trace=/file -
option: No errors...

I tried to open the pdf-files with the Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.

scs2pdf in all current versions has a formatting bug. I have fixed this bug but the fix isn't in CVS yet. I have a tarball that you can try which includes the fix. It is available at:

http://www.chowhouse.com/~james/tn5250.tar.gz

Please try this and see if it fixes your problems. If it doesn't, send me the raw scs output and I'll see what is going on.

The fix will be applied to CVS when I get the patch cleaned up a little.

James Rich