James

From: James Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Linux 5250 Development Project <linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] continued field support
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:06:37 -0600

Marc-Antoine Ruel wrote:
To be clear: It's hasn't been very tested, I may have broken other things.

You're not the only one. The tn5250_session_create_window_structured_field() function I wrote correctly retrieves window parameters from the as/400, but by implementing it the as/400 no longer formats windows for us since it now believes we know how to do it ourselves. So windows don't work anymore (at least not using xt5250). Once tn5250_session_create_window_structured_field() has retrieved the window definition we need to create the window ourselves using some mechanism.

The structure is actually easy. The problem you will run into is the substructures of the windows. Sometimes it will send a sub structure of the window and not send the command to actually create the window. You will need to keep track of if the message contains a create window command or not so if you get the sub structure and there has not been a window created before then you will need to manually create the window with defaults and then apply the substructure(s) to this default definition. Also the main window will have be calculated using the substructure as a guide to creation.

Window titles and footers have this behavior. Oh what a can of worms it is.

Regards

Kenneth

The patch isn't windows-specific at all, except for the update I've made
in my activex and the GUI specific things.

It took me a while to update to the CVS version. I'll send you (James) the
complete version.
I think we should keep the .DLL of the activex in activex/Release or on a
web page since it is not necessary to compile it at home. But it currently
has to be manually compiled. I can do it for a while if there is any
interrest.

I'll send a patch to Scott if I'm able to do one :) But currently the CVS
server is not responding (as usual).

cvs contains the activex portion, but not the rest of it. I think this patch is safe to commit since the problems with it only occur if the user has the +enhanced directive in their .tn5250rc (and no one but me and Marc do at this point). Scott's probably swamped after coming back from vacation. My big patch to the scs2* programs hasn't been committed either. If Scott is too busy maybe Carey or someone with cvs access can review these patches and commit them (though Scott is doing a great job)? Or maybe these patches aren't ready for inclusion?

James Rich