On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Daniel Teixeira wrote:
> I am going to have a look at that image right now... My hope is that all
> configurations can be made using text files, so no one will ever need
> freebsd!!!

That's not a bad idea for things like the AS/400's hostname, or the
network cards address/netmask (when not using DHCP).

But you'd still need either FreeBSD or another operating system that can
read FreeBSD's filesystem in order to mount the disk so that you can
change the text file.

Linux MIGHT be able to do that?  I know Windows can't.  I'm sure that
OpenBSD or NetBSD users would have no problem.

Certainly if you need to change which drivers are compiled into the
kernel, there's no way to do that without FreeBSD.  If you simply included
support for everything in the kernel, then you wouldn't need to do this --
but at that point in no longer fits on a single floppy disk.   This would
work fine for something larger like a CF card or certainly a CD-Rom

Of course, if you're a Linux user and you want to (as you say) "never need
freebsd," then maybe you should come up with a Linux solution and share it
with the group.

I'm a FreeBSD user, so I made a FreeBSD solution!   That way, I never need
Linux.