On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Projet GPAO wrote:

> Your solution sounds great. Could you please tell me more about it? I have to
> use old P75 as tn5250 workstations. There are no CDRom players.

It's been awhile since I've looked at it.  I'll see if I can put some info
together for you to look at, and I'll get back to you later tonight or
tomorrow.

> There's a termcap file on Trinux in etc/ and a terminfo directory located in
> usr/share/ with other folders like a/ k/ l/ m/ v/ x/
> What am I supposed to do with those files? I tried to copy the etc/termcap
> file from my Mandrake station to etc/termcap under Trinux but nothing
> happend. Well, that was a desperated copy/paste anyway ;)

According to the README file in the linux directory of the TN5250 distro,
you compile/install the 5250.terminfo file by typing:
      cd /path/to/tn5250-0.16.5/linux
      tic 5250.terminfo

How do you install it onto a Trinux floppy?  That I don't know.  If
you can't simply run tic, maybe you can just copy the
/usr/share/terminfo/5/5250 file from your Slackware box to the Trinux
disk?  Or perhaps you need to do:
     tic -o /mnt/floppy/whatever/terminfo 5250.terminfo

I don't know what the exact procedure is, since I've never used Trinux.

remember that after you've done that, you still need to set your TERM env
variable to be 5250 in order for it to have any effect.

> Here follows a copy of my termcap under Trinux, if you know what I have to
> change on that file, let me know. I tried to copy/paste the Slackware (Trinux
> is based on Slackware) "full-featured" termcap-huge file they are talking
> about without success...

I doubt that even the most full-featured termcap file will have termcap
from the tn5250 project in it.   I don't think many people are using
termcap with Linux, I think they're using terminfo instead.

If you do need to use termcap, there's a file in the linux subdirectory
of tn5250 called 5250.tcap.  You would need to add that to the end of
your /etc/termcap file and then recompile the termcap database.  I have no
idea how well that 5250.tcap file works, since everyone in Linux uses
terminfo.   I wouldn't experiment with it unless you can't get terminfo to
work.

In FreeBSD, by contrast, termcap is the normal way to do things, and
terminfo is unusual.

Good Luck...