On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 15:51, Scott Klement wrote:

> > Also xlsfonts keeps giving me an error "unable to open display ''".  Man
> > doesn't help as no examples.  Don't know if this is relevant to your HOWTO
> > update.
> >

> IMHO, this is not relevant to the HOWTO.  We cannot provide support for
> people who can't get XFree86 to work properly on their systems... that's
> just going a bit too far.
>
> xlsfonts is a part of XFree86 (or whichever X11 server you're running, but
> XFree86 is the one that comes with Linux, *BSD, etc etc)  It connects to
> your X server and determines what fonts it will display, and prints them out.
> The error your receiving means that it can't connect to your X server.
>
> Most likely, you're using ssh/telnet to run this on a different system,
> rather than doing it on your local system.  If you are doing it on your
> local system, then X must not be running?

Actually, I'm not using ssh/telnet. I'm running KDE on a workstation.
The problem turnsout to be that while X was running (Ctrl Alt F7) I
issued the command from CTRL Alt F2 (command line). Your comment made me
realize that it needs to be issued from a Terminal session from within X
(KDE).  Issuing it from a Terminal session, it works maybe to well (Lots
of Fonts). Thanks