Got it going, just needed to continue google searching with the proper
terms.

Gnome in redhat 8 can autologin, running gdmsetup (in usr/bin) shows
option for initial autologin option.
I believe KDE has something similar also, but it isn't installed on the
machine.

I also found this link that should work for any system.
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/chung.html

Thanks,
Mike