I generally add things to my gnome-menu rather than run them from
the "desktop" (in fact, I don't even have nautilus running)

Here's how I do that:

   -- I click the "gnome footprint" icon that's in the lower-left of
        my desktop.   (I assume you have something like that, but
        I don't really know how your system is configured)

   -- I go to the "Settings" menu.

   -- I select "menu editor"

   -- I highlight the "Favorites (user menus)" section, and right-click
          it.   I choose "New Item"

   -- Under "Name:" I put:  TN5250 profile1

   -- Under "Command:" I put:  xt5250 profile1

   -- Under "Type:" I leave the default of "Application"

   -- I click the "Icon" button, and find an appropriate icon.
        There are gnome icons in the source distribution of TN5250
        that you can use, but I don't think they're installed anywhere
        when you "make install" (or use an RPM) so you'll probably want
        to simply copy them to a folder, and refernece them... or just
        use some other icon.

   -- I click "Save"

   -- I close the menu editor.   Now, when I click on my "gnome footprint"
         in the lower-left, TN5250 profile1 is listed as an item.

   -- Now that you've done that, you should be able to just drag that
         icon from your gnome-footprint menu to the desktop.  I haven't
         tried it, but it should theoretically work.

There's probably an easier way to do this, and I'm probably not the best
person to answer this question, as I'm completely content with a
command-line interface :)   But, since nobody else had answered you, I
wanted to at least give you a response...

Good Luck!